Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Knoephla Soup

My hubby eats knoephla soup like it's goin' outta style!  He asks for it at least once a week, plus we eat leftovers the next night.  We even eat it in the summer time.  A little bit of an obsession I would say.  I got this recipe from a friend.  This is her hubby's Grandmothers, old German recipe.  I made knoephla once with my "recipe"...hubby ate it, but never asked for it again.  When I started using this recipe, he ah...well, gained some weight (because this soup is definitely not on a low cal, low fat, low carb diet plan!).  Anyway, take a look and try it for yourself.  You won't regret it! :) (remember to head over to C's page and thank her when you are done!)

*This recipe makes a whole lotta soup!  I cut it down to measurements for hubby and I once.  Now I just use my judgement on amounts of everything.  Just keep tasting the broth until it's to your liking.



Grandma Rosie's Knoephla Soup
24 cups water
16 Tbsp Chicken base (or use bouillon cubes)
5 pounds potatoes - peeled & cubed
1 stalk celery - diced
1-2 cups carrots - diced
1 onion - chopped
3 tsp salt
3 tsp pepper
3 tsp parsley flakes
1-2 pints half and half or whipping cream

Add vegetables, salt, pepper, and parsley to water and chicken base.  Bring to a boil and cook until veggies are tender.  Add dumplings, bring back to a boil.  Simmer until dumplings are cooked through.
Add half and half or whipping cream.  Stir, eat, and enjoy!

Dumplings: I use 5 eggs, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2-1 tsp baking powder, and 2-4 cups flour (depending on egg size) Mix everything together until dough is stiff.  Drop into boiling soup.
You can also use the pre-made, frozen dumplings found in the store



1 comment: